At CFBZ we pride ourselves on bringing you different perspective from around college football. Just last week we brought you a "Guest Post" from Jeremy Hicks with his take on Texas A&M and their entrance into the SEC. This week I was approached by Brett Pharis, a follower of CFBZ, and asked if I would be interested in running an article he wrote on Boise State and the Big 12. Here it is:
A Letter to Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe: Pleading Boise State’s Case for a Big 12 Invite
Conference realignment and the creation of Super Conferences have been put on hold for the time being. Now that OU, Texas, and Dan Beebe are all good friends again (yeah right!), all eyes are on the Big 12. What will be the next move? Adding Louisville, WVU, and BYU is one of many options being thrown around. What about the possibility of adding Boise State to the mix? Below is a letter I intercepted from Boise State Administration to Dan Beebe pleading their case for an invitation to the Big 12.
Dear Commissioner Beebe,
During these turbulent times in the college football arena we know you are under a great deal of pressure to help resolve the issues your conference is facing and pave a new direction for the Big 12. We, at Boise State University, pride ourselves on continued progression and development of our academic and athletic programs and would like to explain to you why we feel deserving of an invite from the illustrious Big 12 conference:
- 2 Bowl Championship Series’ appearances and a win over one of your conference’s most elite college football programs, the University of Oklahoma.
- 5 top 12 finishes in 7 seasons. Boise State has continued its path to success for the past 10 years.
- Top-notch facilities. Boise State University has completely revamped its football and basketball facilities, added an indoor practice field, a brand new weight room, and we have further plans to expand the football stadium capacity to nearly 60,000 by 2015.
- An expanding fan-base that spans state borders. According to a recent article posted on the New York Times website, Boise State has almost 500,000 fans nationwide, more than nearly half the current PAC12 Universities can claim.
- Recruiting expansion further west. Trips to Boise for football games give opposing coaches the opportunity to recruit more easily in western hotbeds like California, Nevada, and the Northwest.
- Academic improvement. In the last 5 years, Boise State has nearly quadrupled the number of research programs and professors on campus to provide our students with a more meaningful and engaging education.
Obviously we are proud of these accomplishments at Boise State University, but there are many more reasons we feel the Big 12 could benefit from adding Boise State. We’d love an opportunity to discuss this proposal in more detail, perhaps in person. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
President, Boise State University
So, what are your thoughts? How seriously does Dan Beebe take a request like this from Boise State? Who do you think gets the nod from the Big 12?